When it comes to independent shops and boutiques, trendy East London has options galore! To help you navigate your way around the host of independent offerings East London has to offer, we’ve put together our pick of the best independent shops in and around Limehouse, E14, just steps from Ropemakers Yard
Love Your Local Limehouse Stores
Love Your Local Limehouse Stores
1. Stepney City Farm – Hungry for fresh, organic food produced just steps away from your doorstep? Stepney City Farm is the place to go. Bringing together plenty of local produce from in and around Limehouse, the farm hosts a Farmers Market every Saturday, between 10am and 3pm. Lots of passionate stall holders from the local area attend, selling plenty of food staples grown or made locally including fruit, veg, meat, cheeses, cakes and bread. And it’s not just food! Rural artists also attend, selling their homemade pottery, textiles and carvings.
2. Limehouse Basin Market – If you’re looking for an alternative to the typical high-street shops, head down to Limehouse Basin Market, just one minute from Limehouse DLR Station. Under the distinct arches of Limehouse Basin, the market runs on the last Saturday of every month, and brings even more vibrancy to Limehouse. With stalls selling all the gifts and knick knacks you could want, from clothing and headwear, to candles and locally made chocolates, the market also has plenty of options for hungry shoppers including traditional East London street food stalls, as well as coffee and boozy hot chocolates. As well as all of this, local artists are free to exhibit their work, and local musicians are invited to perform, creating a relaxed vibe for all that visit.
3. Yurt Café – Serving heavenly homemade cakes, pastries and hot food as well as beer, wine and cocktails, the Yurt Café in Limehouse is London’s very first café run from a cosy Mongolian Yurt. Open every day between 9am and 5pm, staff at the café use locally produced ingredients, including vegetables they have grown in their very own community garden, to make delicious meals. A special brunch menu is available at weekends, and the venue is also available to be hired out for private events, weddings and parties.
4. East End Thrift Store – Searching for that brand new outfit that you know nobody else will turn up to the party in? A 15 minute stroll from Ropemakers Yard and a vintage lovers’ dream, the East End Thrift Store prides itself on selling one of a kind vintage clothing for £10 or under. Here you can browse the endless rails of classic dresses, shirts, coats, playsuits and skirts, and there is even a boutique section upstairs – The Assembly – for more high-end pieces such as cocktail dresses, dinner suits and fur coats!
5. Genesis Cinema – Once you’re all shopped out and need a rest, Genesis Cinema is an independently run arthouse cinema, showing both blockbuster and independent films. Open 7 days a week, the family owned cinema has six screens, with Screens 4 and 5 home to comfy sofas, armchairs, foot stalls, blankets and in-screen bars for thirsty cinemagoers. The cinema also boasts a restaurant and café, as well as Bar Paragon where weekly live music events are held.
Fancy spending your free time exploring all that Limehouse has to offer? Check out our brand-new apartments at Ropemakers Yard at the heart of the district!