L&Q are committed to safeguarding the rights of individuals to confidentiality. You have a right to privacy when using this website and in all your dealings with L&Q. Your right to privacy when using the website is protected by the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (EC Directive) 2003 and your rights in respect of your personal data are protected by the Data Protection Act 2018.
THE DATA PROTECTION ACT
The Data Protection Act 2018 is designed to protect your personal data and sets rules for processing this information. The Act says that those who record and use personal information must be open about how the information is used and must make sure it is handled properly.
The Act says that information about you must be:
- fairly and lawfully processed
- processed for limited purposes
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- not kept for longer than is necessary
- processed in line with your rights
- not transferred to countries without adequate protection.
By law, we are required to keep to these principles.
PRIVACY WHEN USING THIS WEBSITE
We also use Google Analytics cookies to enable more accurate reporting of site usage data. We do not use third party cookies.
WHAT INFORMATION DO YOU HOLD ABOUT ME?
The information we hold on our records is usually related to your tenancy history. For example:
- names and dates of birth of people in your household
- telephone numbers
- rent payment history
- information related to a transfer application, such as information on your health.
This list is not exhaustive, as we hold records of most contacts between yourself and our offices.
WHY DO YOU HOLD THIS INFORMATION?
We keep this information so we can provide the services you need including repairs and maintenance, rents, transfers, sales and anything to do with your tenancy. It also allows us to:
- Check our services are fair and equal
- Assist residents who have told us about particular needs
- Improve the services we provide you
HOW DO YOU PROTECT MY DETAILS?
Along with the Data Protection Act, it is our policy to ensure:
- Information is only given to our staff and agencies on a need to know basis.
- Agencies with whom we share information observe our confidentiality policy.
- All records are kept securely.
- Interviews with residents will be carried out in private.
Personal information is treated as strictly confidential, unless you give consent or the law permits it. For example, the law allows us to share information with Police, Benefits Agency, Audit Commission and other landlords to prevent or deal with anti-social behaviour, crime and fraud.
If you would like to authorise someone to access your personal data and act on your behalf, please complete a consent form in full and return to L&Q Direct. You can download the consent form at the bottom of this page. If you wish to withdraw this permission you must notify us in writing.
If you telephone our offices to enquire about your rent account or personal matters related to your tenancy, you will be asked security questions to confirm your identity. You can find further information in the leaflet at the bottom of this page.
HOW ARE MY DETAILS STORED?
We will store your details securely using:
- Filing cabinets kept in secure office accommodation
- Secure computer systems. Any records held electronically will be protected by appropriate security arrangements that prevent unauthorised access.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHAT INFORMATION YOU HOLD ABOUT ME?
The Data Protection Act allows you to find out what information about we hold about you and correct any mistakes. If you would like to do this, you can download the subject access request form at the bottom of this page. You can also obtain the form from L&Q Direct, by calling 0800 015 6536, or your local L&Q Office. The form should be completed in full and returned to:
Customer Relations Team
3 Maidstone Road
WHAT WILL YOU SEND TO ME?
We will respond to your request within 30 days. If we require further information, we will request this before proceeding.
If not, we will agree what information will be provided and its format and send you a copy within 30 days of receiving your completed application. You may be invited to view the data at one of our offices if we are unable to send it.
Alternatively, you can contact The Information Commissioners Office.
L&Q is a participant in the National Fraud Initiative. This means that we may share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud.
L&Q is legally bound to comply with UK money laundering legislation, we may therefore conduct verification checks including an electronic check to confirm a customer’s identity.